Wednesday 23 November 2011

Can Stress Cause a Heart Attack?

!±8± Can Stress Cause a Heart Attack?

Just a few short weeks ago, I learned that there is a 'quiet' syndrome that can kill you without warning or notice. The major cause of these heart attacks are stress. They are usually set off by a stressful event.

It is called Broken Heart Syndrome. It effect primarily women over 50 (9 out of 10 cases occur in women over 50).

Are you at risk? I did not know I was. According to John Hopkins Medicine and Mayo Clinic, here is a quick list of some of the major symptoms of broken heart syndrome:

- Palpitations
- Swelling of feet, ankles, hands
- Shortness of breath
- Fatigue
- Dizziness or fainting
- Chest Pain
- Stroke or painful and cold limbs (due to blood clot)
- Wheezing or a dry cough, coughing up bloody phlegm

I did not have any of these! Not a one. I just collapsed and my heart and breathing stopped....after a really stressful event.

If you have any of these symptoms, get checked right away.

Some of the causes of broken heart syndrome (again, I really did not have any of these, except my potassium was a little low following the heart failure), according to Mayo and John Hopkins are:

- Excess alcohol consumption
- Smoking
- Viral infections of the heart
- Inherited diseases
- Obesity
- Advanced coronary artery disease
- Nutritional deficiencies (such as vitamin B3 or potassium)
- Cardiomyopathy

I didn't really have any of these either. I have never smoked, I drink about 5 or 6 drinks a year, I am about 15 pounds overweight (but I had started to work on that about a month ago by eating right, exercising daily, etc.)

Do you have any of these risk factors? If so, see your doctor.

Now, about the stress factor. Here, I thought I was just 'living my life', but to most people, I was probably a bit 'off the charts' for stress. I often felt and commented that it seemed I was 'running through my life'.

Before this 'episode' (this is what I like to call it)-

I was running three real estate businesses, an Italian Food Manufacturing Business, and several internet marketing businesses. I was looking into moving and expanding the Italian Food Business.

I was in the process of suing the City for the liquor license (for a commercial building we own with a really nasty neighbor)

I am a wife and mother of two teenagers

I was in the process of preparing the taxes for all our businesses & government reports for FDA/USDA

So, I guess I am a bit of a work-a-holic.

Are you? Are you at risk? If so, don't wait. Start right now to re-prioritize your life.

What do you love to do? What do you not like to do? What do you have to do? What do you want to do?

I was immediately forced to make these decisions and choices. Very glad I am still here to be able to make the choices. Some wonderful things have come out of this whole experience.

I have had to slow down and re-evaluate what is important to me.

My 19 year old son took over my Italian Food Business and it has not missed a beat.

I am deciding which businesses I want to keep running and which ones I am willing to let go of.

My husband and in-laws have organized and cleaned my entire house (including the little things that I have not had time to get to in the last several years -- like cleaning the screens, window, fireplace, etc.)

My 16-year old daughter who was there when I arrested (and has been subsequently pretty freaked out) now calls me "iron man" since I had a defibrillator installed (ICP).

I look at it as an "insurance policy" to cover me, should anything like this ever happen to me again. Since the doctors have not been able to identify and determine what caused my heart failure, it could happen again. The internal 'electrician' will allow me to return to more normal activity in about 8 weeks.

As far as treatment goes, besides the ICP, I am also on the three most common heart disease medications. Unlike other heart patients, I may be able to stop taking these at some time in the future.

I have to go to cardio rehab therapy for the next three or four months (three times a week) and to a Stress Reduction Class at an area hospital. I am having my sister (who is a higher stress risk than me) attend with me.

The toughest part for me is not being able to drive or lift my left arm above my head for 8 weeks.

A very small price to pay for being alive today. Luckily I had my accident at the right place and the right time. I was given CPR and the EMTs were just a block away, so I was shocked and revived quickly. I credit this terrific care with my exceptional recovery. Even my doctors were delighted and continue to be amazed by my speedy recovery. I intend to keep surprising them!


Can Stress Cause a Heart Attack?

Last Minute Korg Ma30 Metronome Coffee Pod Makers Sale Off

No comments:

Post a Comment